When a pattern maker creates a new or first pattern a Pattern Form is usually attached. I recommend creating a pattern form to keep all your patterns numbered and organized. The form above is one we use here at The Designer's Lounge and was created in Adobe Illustrator, but can easily be created in Microsoft Excel.
You will need the following columns:
1. Number of the pattern piece
2. Description of the pattern piece
3. Cut #, indicate which pieces are "cut on fold"
4. Style, Size and Yardage information.
5. Space for a sketch or picture
6. Trim Info
Patterns can be hung on pattern hooks OR keep the patterns in large Ziplock Bags with pattern sheet on the front.